This is going to be an epic battle! Absolutely obsolete are the days when you had to buy a big desktop that looked like a 90s television regardless of the content you created. Whether it was for work, gaming, or movie watching, these were the only monitors you could find.
But, times have changed, my friend! They have changed tremendously! Today, we are all battling between ultrawide and 4K monitors, unable to decide which of these to go for. They are both excellent and shower us with luxurious experiences, but we surely can’t buy both! What do we do then? How do we take sides in the ultrawide vs 4K monitors battle? Don’t worry. We are here to help.
In this article, we shall speak about individual features and then compare the two to find out which the best choice is. Let’s start!
Their name is pretty self-explanatory. Ultrawide monitors are literally ultrawide. They are extra horizontal space. Here are some of their standout features:
- They usually have an aspect ratio of 21:9. This translates to 3440 x 1440 pixels. But there are also bigger monitors with better resolutions. Some offer 5120 x 1440 pixels! These are called super ultrawide displays. They aren’t really needed for regular use.
- They are generally curved even though a few flat ones are available in the market. So, if you aren’t comfortable with the curve and are worried that it may affect your experience due to colour distortion or blurring, you can choose the flat models. Having said that, you should note that good quality monitors, despite being curved, do not have such flaws.
- Ultrawide monitors are perfect for professional use because they give you more screen space for your spreadsheets and apps. You can make the most out of the extra horizontal space without the need for dual monitor setup. But, if you are looking for multitasking flexibility, dual monitors are not a bad option.
- Video editors absolutely love ultrawide monitors!
- Since the field of view is more, these monitors also provide a pleasant gaming experience.
- 4K monitors are currently the talk of the town. They are of very high quality, especially when you speak in pixels. A typical 4K monitor comes with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, which is significantly higher than a typical ultrawide monitor.
- They are usually flat unless you go for ultrawide 4K monitors. These integrate the features of both, ultrawide and 4K monitors, and maybe curved as well.
- You may not need these monitors for professional use, but they can come handy for video editing purposes.
- For gaming, hands down, 4K monitors win. They enhance the entire experience and make you feel like you are a part of the game itself. The stunning display, the details, and the image quality are hard to beat in this case.
- 4K monitors come packed with multiple features but at a huge price. They are pretty expensive.
Ultrawide vs 4K monitors – Let’s choose a winner!
It would be very easy for you and us if we just picked one of these and said that they were better. But, that’s not the case at all. They are both purpose-built and do well in their respective areas. For example, ultrawide monitors are excellent for work, and 4K monitors are great for gaming. So, you can buy either depending on your requirements.
However, if you are not able to afford a 4K monitor, a good ultrawide monitor will improve your gaming experience as well. On the flip side, if you want the best of the best and don’t have a budget constraint, you can go with 5K monitors or ultrawide + 4k monitors.
We live in a world where choice is a way of life. We have too many options in every field. But, getting reckless and picking out something in haste can cause us to lose money. The best thing to do would be to slow down, pen down your needs, compare, and then buy whatever you like. Monitors are like one-time purchases, and we are sure you do not want to go through the hassle every now and then. So, do a good job the first time! All the best!