There is absolutely no denying that a mouse makes working easier. Even if we use a laptop with a good trackpad, it is always feasible to use a mouse. However, when it comes to programmers, the feasibility is generally ignored. Gamers and designers usually spend a lot of time and patience trying to find the best mouse. According to us, it should be the same for coders because it makes their work easier.
Today, the best mice for programming is going to be our primary topic, and we are going to discuss some of the most popular ones out there.
- Best Mouse for Programming
- 1. Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for Coding
- 2. Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Wireless Mouse with Flow Cross-Computer Control
- 3. Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
- 4. Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 For Programming
- 5. Razer Taipan Ambidextrous PC Gaming Mouse – 8200 DPI 4G Laser Sensor
- 6. Anker Vertical Wireless Ergonomic Optical Mouse
- 7. ASUS ROG Gladius II Aura Sync USB Wired Optical Ergonomic Mouse
Best Mouse for Programming
1. Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for Coding
This one has been consistently rated as the best mouse for programming. It is a five-button mouse with stealth-thumb controls for zooming, switching between applications, et cetera. It has laser tracking, which makes it very easy to use on most surfaces including glass.
Let’s get into the specifics of its features here:
- The receiver can just be plugged into the system and forgotten. It is small enough to be ignored.
- It is designed to provide maximum support to the wrist so that it can be used for long periods of time without discomfort.
- You can charge the mouse even while using it. It is also chargeable through a power outlet.
- The mouse is also known for its hyper-fast scrolling that makes glancing through pages, files, and documents a breeze.
- It is compatible with both, Windows and iOS, making it a very easy choice for programmers.
2. Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Wireless Mouse with Flow Cross-Computer Control
This is the best mouse for coders who work on two or more systems simultaneously. Its cross-computer control enables you to control more than one device easily. You can even paste any content to another computer without hassle.
It’s defining features are as follows:
- It can be used on any surface including the glass of at least 4 mm thickness.
- It charges quite quickly and can last up to 70 days.
- You can use it with 3 computers together. They can be Windows or Mac or both.
- The battery, however, cannot be removed.
3. Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
This mouse is a delight for gamers and coders alike. The surface tuning calibration lets you calibrate the optical sensor so that you get the best performance. You can calibrate based on the surface of the mouse pad you are using.
Here are some of its best features:
- You can even adjust the center of balance and weight according to your convenience.
- The gaming mouse comes with 11 whopping buttons, which is more than double of the best mouse for programming that we previously discussed.
- The scroll wheel is dual-mode and hyperfast ensuring super-fast scrolling speed.
- You can choose from 5 DPI settings depending on what you prefer.
4. Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 For Programming
As the name suggests, this mouse has a trackball. You can see it right on top! You don’t need to move your arm in order to move the cursor! The presence of trackball on top ensures that you use the mouse anywhere including your bed!
Let’s go through its main features:
- The shape of the mouse is quite unique and has been designed such that it supports the wrist and do not move at all.
- It comes with a unifying receiver, which enables you to connect 6 compatible devices at once.
- It uses an AA battery, but a single battery can last for 18 months! Keep in mind that this depends on the usage, and the company does not guarantee 18-month battery life.
- It is compatible with Windows as well as Mac.
- Its wireless range is 30 feet. However, this can also vary based on the work environment, usage, and settings
- Now, one thing that you may miss here is that the receiver is present on the backside of the mouse! Do not get confused.
5. Razer Taipan Ambidextrous PC Gaming Mouse – 8200 DPI 4G Laser Sensor
As the name suggests, this one is a blessing for left-handed programmers. It can be programmed for left-hand or right-hand use based on your preference. It is easily the best ambidextrous mouse out there.
We’ve listed out its top features here:
- It is a wired mouse, and so, you don’t have to worry about batteries or charge.
- It comes with 6 buttons.
- It is compatible with Windows and Mac.
6. Anker Vertical Wireless Ergonomic Optical Mouse
This is the best mouse for coding at an affordable price range. So, if you are looking for a good but inexpensive option, Anker vertical wireless is the way to go. It has an ergonomic design that specifically reduces strain on the hand. It also ensures smoother movement.
The following features define this extremely functional mouse:
- It works on 800/1200/1600 DPI resolution optical tracking technology thanks to which it is much more sensitive than regular mice. This means it is precise and can work seamlessly on multiple surfaces.
- When left for 8 minutes without use, it goes into power saving mode, which we think, is a great feature.
- It comes with next/previous buttons to make web browsing easy.
7. ASUS ROG Gladius II Aura Sync USB Wired Optical Ergonomic Mouse
This one is on the higher end of the pricing spectrum. It is very well designed and fits just about all grips. It has a clickable scroll wheel, target button, DPI switch, and quick-release.
The following features are what make the mouse an excellent addition despite the cost:
- It has a push-fit socket design.
- The buttons are quite easy to customize thanks to the ROG armoury software, which also help you customize lighting and performance.
- The mouse has 6 buttons.
This mouse misses a few great features that the others in its list have. However, it is superb to use. Thus, you should choose based on your requirements and preferences.
Now that you have a list of the best mice for programmers, which one do you think will serve you the best?
How to Choose a Mouse as a Coder?
For every programmer, certain aspects need to be considered while choosing a mouse for their coding needs. Let’s have a brief look at them:
Wireless Vs. Wired
It is simple. If you don’t want a mess of wires or do not want to limit your hand movements due to the cords, then go for the wireless device. And if you are one of those who loses the tiny USB receiver frequently or who do not wish to worry about the dying mouse battery, then go for the wired mouse.
Tip: If you are using a wireless mouse and facing some lag issues with its movements, then place the USB receiver to the nearest port from your mouse. It will minimize the interference, and you will get smoother movements.
The number of Buttons
The customizable buttons help you to use different functions with a click to improve the work speed and efficiency. If you want to eliminate the process of going through menus and sub-menus or keyboard shortcuts for your most common uses, then opt for the mouse with more extra buttons. But if you are still in the category of the coders who like to use only left and right clicks, then avoid going for the mouse with many buttons as it may distract and lower your working speed.
As you can understand, this feature is related to the sensitivity of the mouse. The more DPI (Dots Per Inch) means more sensitivity. It helps to adjust the sensitivity of the mouse as per your comfort. The famous mouse for coding comes with mostly three customizable DPI settings. Now you never wonder why your mouse cursor goes straight out of the screen when you navigate it near the corner of the monitor.
You may think that how a scroll wheel can make an effect on the programming. Well, when you navigate through your source code or the project documentation and if the scrolling is faster or slower than expected, you get annoyed and start using the keyboard buttons (I was also doing that before). The best programming mouse comes with excellent scrolling feature with smooth wheel movements.